Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Planning for DisneyWorld- Introduction

So while this isn't an authentic parenting post per se, it's something that's been on my mind to write for awhile and I needed somewhere to put it and this is the best place I have. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I've been to Disneyworld 6 times (once as a kid and 5 times as an adult) and am currently planning my 7th trip. Needless to say, I feel like I've got a lot to share about how to do it.

To many, Disney planning can seem daunting. And while there are a lot of steps involved, it doesn't have to be all done at once, and the nice part is that once you get there everything is done and you don't have to think about it. However, if you're thinking you can just decide to go to Disney next month, you'll probably miss out on things you wanted to do or wait for a really long time in line (for example, if there's a popular restaurant you want to eat at, Advanced Dining Reservations are made 60 days in advance and you will probably not get one a month before). That's why I highly recommend planning a Disney trip at least one year in advance. Although you can do it in less time, a year gives you a nice leisurely time to plan. For the first month or two, start planning when you're going to go, then take a month or two to decide where to stay, then a month or two to familiarize yourself with restaurants and by the time you get to 60 days you'll be ready to make your dining reservations! After that, you have two months to check out each park and decide what to do when you're there, which will naturally segue into making Genie+ selections. Then all that remains is to pack!

I've broken down the Disney planning into a few parts.

1 - When to go to Disney: what age is a good age? What time of year is good to go?
2 - Where to stay at Disney: breaking down the pros and cons of off vs. onsite
3 - Advance Dining Reservations: because hour long waits for lunch/dinner are for non-planners
4 - Genie+:  getting on the rides faster
5 - What to take to Disney: including discussions about strollers, magic bands and memory maker

While I really enjoy the planning part (almost as much as the going part), I hope that if you're not a planner like me you will find this simplifies the process. If you have any questions or suggestions, let me know in the comments!

ps. if all this still seems like too much work, there are many travel agencies (some that specialize in Disney travel) who will do all this for you, including Fastpasses and Advanced Dining Reservations. Some will even do it FOR FREE, as they receive commission from Disney. I can't make any recommendations as I've never used any companies, but do make sure that they are booking everything for you and not just your hotel reservations.

Updated Nov 30 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment