Before a misbehaviour:
- Explain your expectations to your child
- Discuss consequences with your child
- Praise your child for positive behaviour
- Make sure expectations and consequences are age-appropriate
- Consider what the "natural" consequences will be
- Offer choices to avoid power-struggles and build self-confidence
- Remember that you are letting your child fail now so they can succeed later
- Parents should be a united front
During a misbehaviour
- Calm yourself down
- Give clear, brief direction
- Follow through so your kids will learn that you mean what you say
For further thought:
How does this parenting style compare to compare to how you were raised? In what ways do you wish you had been more or less raised like this?
What appeals to you about this parenting style?
What makes you uncomfortable with this parenting style?
For further reading:
Parenting Healthy Children: Parenting with Love and Logical Consequences
Empowering Parents: Child Discipline: Consequences and Effective Parenting
Lovely Chaos: Parenting 101: Love and Logic with 123 Magic